Project Mgmt Week 8 DQR
My project analyzes the Wembley Stadium project performance where milestone 3 contained project control techniques, quality auditing tools, and reporting metrics. According to the PMBOK guide, quality is the degree “to which a set of inherent characteristics of a product, service, or result fulfills the requirements” (The Standard for Project Management and a Guide to the PRoject Management Body of Knowledge, Seventh Edition, 2021, p. 47).
The Wembley project was managed by Wembley National Stadium Limited (WNSL). The WNSL was not a project management firm, and therefore did not have established policies and procedures regarding project management. That said, the organization was managing relationships between government and non-governmental entities who made large donations, with the largest being private sector donations (about 80% of total donations). However, because the public sector had also invested in the project, the WNSL ensured that construction contracts protected the donors by transferring all financial risks of costs incurred above initial budget allocation to the construction company, Multiplex.
After the project charter was completed, all stakeholders who made contributions toward the project began making changes to the project’s scope. Multiplex claims that this resulted in over 11,000 changes to the project (Mott MacDonald steels itself for high court battle over Wembley Stadium | Wembley Stadium | The Guardian, 2009). With that in mind, I found that the WNSL did not have a quality process by which to evaluate milestones or any progress toward the deliverables identified in the charter. Further, the WNSL did not adequately control changes to the project, resulting in the 11,000 changes that caused delays with over 300 million pounds over budget.
The first change I would make had I been on the project team is to establish clear governance structure. Additionally, I would create a change management process to be enforced by the team and project sponsor (the WNSL and Secretary of State). These two changes would ensure that 1) the project’s scope is controlled, adding time and resources where needed according to changes, and 2) that the changes were approved by the appropriate authority which limits the degree to which stakeholders could change the project. Further, key metrics for this (and all) projects should include tracking earned and planned value to assess the schedule performance index and cost variance. Those metrics provide leading indicators of project performance that enables the team to quickly identify if quality standards are being met.
Hoyle, R. (2009, July 8th).
Mott MacDonald steels itself for high court battle over Wembley Stadium | Wembley Stadium | The Guardian. Retrieved from The Guardian:
Project Management Institute. (2021).
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.