During this course, you will conduct a policy analysis related to social welfare. The policy analysis will have five sections. You will create your project incrementally throughout the course in Workshops Two through Seven. Each week, you will complete one section of the analysis and submit a piece of the whole so you can receive feedback from your instructor and improve your work before your final submission in Workshop Seven.
As a social worker, you will be expected to demonstrate character, leadership, and scholarship in the arena of policy and its use in clinical practice.
Character is the product of constant action, striving daily to make the right choices. Through your work of advocacy toward policy reform, you are demonstrating such qualities as responsibility, fairness, and caring, and proving by example that you value character.
Scholarship means a commitment to learning. Applying diligence and effort toward learning about policy and advocacy as a social worker can impact your practice positively as a professional.
Leadership at your agency means having a positive influence on your colleagues. In taking the initiative to learn about and advocate for policy reform, you can encourage others to attain the same objective, thus positively affecting your clients and your work toward social justice.
In this assignment, you will research the implementation realities of the policy you selected and interview a social worker affected by the policy.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
Identify social policies at the local, state, and federal levels that impact well-being, service delivery, and access to social services. (PO 5)
Assess how social welfare and economic policies impact the delivery of and access to social services. (PO 5)
Analyze policies with regard to advancement of human rights and social, economic, and environmental justice. (PO 5, ILO 5)
Demonstrate character, scholarship, and leadership in becoming a world changer through application to personal life and professional social work practice.
Demonstrate Christ-like attitudes, values, worldviews, and ethical and professional behavior within advanced clinical practice. (ILO 1)
Textbook: Social Welfare Policy: Responding to a Changing World
File: Final Project.pdf (in the Shared Documents)
PDF File: Searching for News.pdf
File: APA 6e Guide.pdf
File: Verification Letter.docx
File: APA Template for Assignments.docx
Academic Writer in IWU Resources
In this assignment, you will write:
Policy Analysis—Section 4: Implementation Realities—Primary and Secondary Sources
You will research and analyze your selected policy in light of its stated intent.
Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
Read the Final Project file for a description of the section that you will write for this assignment.
Review the IWU APA 6e Guide on how to cite sources properly.
In a two-page, APA-formatted document, write Section 4 of your Policy Analysis: Implementation Realities—Primary and Secondary Sources. Address the prompts in the Final Project.pdf file for Workshop Four.
For a primary source, locate a social worker affected by the policy and conduct an interview using the questions in the Final Project.pdf file.
To provide verification of your IWU student status when reaching out to a social worker at an agency, you can use the Verification Letter.docx as needed.
For secondary sources, conduct research using the same questions that guided your primary interview. To locate secondary sources, use the NexisUniTM guide (Searching for News) to help you find news sources. The OCLS NexisUniTM will lead you to credible and reliable sources. You will be able to access news regarding your topic from numerous sources.
In your paper, compare and contrast the primary and secondary source information about the policy implementation realities and synthesize the information.
Use the APA Template for Assignments.docx file to complete your assignment.
Before finalizing your work, ensure that you:
Read the assignment instructions carefully.
Use the spelling and grammar check.
Review APA formatting and citation.
Use APA format for organization, style, and source credits, including:
12-point, double-spaced Times New Roman font
One-inch margins on all sides
Normal character spacing
Title page and reference page
Properly formatted headings
Review the rubric that your instructor will use to evaluate your work. Self-assess your assignment using the rubric and make improvements as needed to meet expectations and ensure that your work fulfills all the requirements.
When you have completed your assignment, save a copy for yourself, and submit a copy to your instructor using the Assignment submission page by the end of the workshop.SWK-543: SOCIAL WELFARE AND POLICY
*Note: Please plan ahead for the interview assignment in Workshop Five.
Workshop Two Policy Analysis—Section 1: Social Welfare Issue/Policy Selection (two pages)
Identify a social welfare issue of interest.
• Why did you choose this issue? If you feel comfortable responding, what personal stories can you share
• Research facts and statistics about the issue—what do we know about it?
• What are current perceptions of the issue?
Research various social welfare policies associated with the issue.
• Browse bills from the U.S. Congress at the GovTrack.us: Social Welfare website:
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/subjects/social_welfare/6328. You can narrow your focus by
drilling down into five subcategories (disability assistance, national and community service, poverty and
welfare assistance, social security and elderly assistance, and social work/volunteer service/charitable
• What past and current policies address the issue? (An option is to create a timeline to show that policies
Identify a specific current social welfare policy associated with the issue that you will research throughout the
• Explain how knowing more about this specific social welfare policy relates directly to the NASW Code of
Workshop Three Policy Analysis—Section 2: Historical Review (two pages)
Using the specific current social welfare policy associated with the issue you selected in Workshop One,
conduct a historical review:
• Discuss the historical development/evolution of the social policy (social issues/problems that led to the
need for the policy to be developed, what has changed over time, etc.).
• Identify the implementation level of the policy (federal, state, or local).
• Identify the agency, department, or commission involved in formulating or implementing this policy.
(Give background information on the agency’s mission, budget, organization, etc.)
• Explain why the policy was developed and to what issues or problems it was responding (goals,
strategies, etc.). What are the main causes of the issue?
• Discuss what political or social pressures shaped the policy’s framework.
• Identify what the policy was intended to accomplish (original intent of the policy).
• Describe how the policy attempts to address the social problem in question.
• Discuss the ideology and values (the basis of or inherent in the policy) that underpin this social policy,
including any specific political influences.
• Describe how the policy aims to address the three social justice values that drive choices in policy
formation: equity, equality, and adequacy.
Policy Analysis—Section 3: Target Population (one page)
Identify the demographics of the target population (statistical descriptors),
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.